Wednesday, December 17, 2008

rambling from freshmen year

My mother groans when I have built a laundry fortress
and my empire continues to expand.
I have her eyes and chin, and that ladder of optimism
she keeps in dark places. I wonder if it will ever break.
I used to make frustrating lines appear on my father’s face
when small loads of sand from my shoes appeared everywhere.
I would like to think that’s how writing is,
infinite grains of ideas, sometimes left in peculiar places, spilling out.
I like to drive to nowhere in particular,
wondering where the other boxes are traveling.
Reading their expressions through the sideways glance,
rushed, sad, nonchalant, and the occasional excitement of a horn.
Always going, going, going,
their heart the constant driver.
They say people come and go in your life,
but I don’t believe so, when I meet the same ones everywhere.
I hear people tell me that I need to take on more responsibilities,
then they laugh and tell me to enjoy not having so many.
I’m young but my excuses are narrowing with time.
I like to catch you off guard in a picture,
When the moment is just right or just wrong
and you are truly you.
I like the rain and its effect on me.
I fall down with it, blend into its chorus,
and carry it with me, even when I have left its side.
Sometimes I am clumsy in body and mind,
but my sense of humor gives me balance.
I love to see through love’s eyes.
I love to make you forget the trivial.
Every time I see that it is 11:11, I wish.
Every time I think of my future, I hope.
I know that life is full of beautiful things,
things I try to understand and make and do.
I know the fire is still burning,
and it can grow or die.
I know I am only a blink in the eye of the world-
but I hope to be a memorable bat of lash-
to those I hold dear.

No comments: