Wednesday, March 3, 2010









I knew what was going to happen;
your things slowly parted from my room,
thoughts pushed back faced forward.
We were standing outside by your car & mine
by the heavy wooden gate
blocking you from somewhere you used to stay.
You asked if we could go inside 
but I said "No, tell me right here."
My skin was hot, my arms were crossed.
You held me, but I was not to be held.
You didn't speak until I told you 
it wasn't fair to keep me quiet here against your ribs
I deserve words. 
It wasn't fair it was a beautiful day.
It wasn't fair I still hoped you wouldn't leave
while I ran down the stairs to throw all of you 
into a basket to shove in front of you
& shout with a shaking yet clear voice,
"There's nothing here for you anymore!"
The dogs were barking & clawing at the gate,
crying out for you while I cried out at you.
They wanted to see you so badly
& so did I but I told you never again.
I said that's it, I've done all I could,
leave now, like you wanted to.
I asked why you were still here
because I wanted to tell you to go.
You told me you were trying to say goodbye;
it was the first time I had seen you cry.
              .Laura Curren.

No comments: